We are so glad you are here! We love making and sharing our projects, and we are excited to have you visiting our site. Please leave us a comment and let us know what you think!

Jackie and Michelle


Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Dabble into Art Journaling

I have never been a journal writer, although I would love to be.   I have been looking at tons of art journals on the internet.  I have purchased books about the subject.  I wanted to try my hand at it, it looks like so much fun, and it looks like a style of journaling I may be comfortable with.  This is my first attempt...DON'T LAUGH!!  LOL!

I decided to turn a composition book into an art journal.  I found this tutorial on Lil Blue Boo and gave it a go.

 ...became this.  I had a ton of emphera papers and items that I did a collage with to make the cover.  There is some glitter paint on the edges, and I used rub ons from 7 gypsies for the "title" of the book.
 This is what the pages looked like after I glued three of them together, then used gesso on them to prepare them.  IT TOOK FOREVER since I decided to do the whole book first.  Some folks do a page or two at a time.  I may do that next time.
 I still need to cover the back of the book.  Now, here's where I am asking you not to laugh.  This is my first ever art journal page.  I saw a couple of WONDERFUL videos by Pam Carriker, the link to her videos is here.  I tried to follow her steps to making a journal page.  This s what I came up with.
 I had no idea what this was going to become until I was done with it today, and I have been working on it for a week.
 The images are from an OLD (11 years to be exact) stamping magazine I had that I finally cut up.  I added Tim Holtz stamps, and a film strip die cut from him as well to highlight some of the stamp images.  I love the vintage lady in her bathing suit.  I decided this had to be some sort of travel page.  I think I messed up on the "frame" around the quote, but that is ok, I am still learning.
I did a quick list journaling style, since I am not too comfy with journaling.  I am hoping that doing this will help with that.

So, that is that.  I am going to keep trying and see what happens.  I love the style of using paint, stamps, and collage.

Stay crafty, my friends!


Ashley said...

This is gorgeous!!! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

pcarrikersart said...

Loved seeing what you did with my little tutorial-fabulous job! The yellow is such a warm, yummy color and you tied everything together so well. Thank you for stopping by my site to share:-)

Audrey Frelx said...

Awesome!!! You did a great job on your art journal!!! Well, if I know you you won't be "dabbling" for long because you're already off to a good start at mastering this art!!!

krisatlarge said...

Great job! I too learned how to do art journaling from Pam Carriker - you did excellently your first time out! Very impressive - glad you enjoyed the experience, too. I thought I'd never be an art journaler, but that Pam is a good or bad influence - depends on how you look at it! And her videos are a great resource - pretty soon she'll pull you in to drawing!!!

LuLu said...


Your first art journal and page look great. Nice composition, journaling and colors.

Stop beating yourself up about being a newbie. Remember, there are no rules in art journaling, so whatever you create is RIGHt!

Would love for you to visit my blog when you have a moment or 2!


The MommyWife said...

Honey, this is incredible! I am currently working on my first art journal and I hope it's half as good as yours :)

Unknown said...

I just love this! What did you use for the yellow color?